Having braces doesn’t necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between ceramic braces and clear aligners?
Ceramic braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Ceramic braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from Ceramic braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients requiring minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to ceramic braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Ceramic braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and your orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: Ceramic braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Your orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to your orthodontist about all of your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask your orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Are ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to your orthodontist, you can decide if ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Your orthodontist can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about ceramic braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.